Sunday, June 3, 2012

My Thinking on a Thoughtful Classroom


Introducing "Our Thoughtful Classroom"

Tinker our "Thinking Frog"

How it Began:
Three summers ago I had the amazing opportunity to attend the Summer Institute at Harvard's Project Zero. I had a basis of exposure to the "Visible Thinking" framework at my school but it was while I was participating in this workshop that I had my "A-HA" moment. My "A- HA" moment was the idea to design and implement a "back to school" unit with a concentrated focus of creating a “thoughtful” classroom culture. This unit establishes the core foundation for our year. 


A "thoughtful" classroom to me is one where:

  • lessons are created and teaching strategies are implemented to elicit deeper "thoughtful" thinking
  • the attributes of the PYP Learner Profile and Attitudes (such as: being respectful, open minded and curious) are the cornerstones of our "thoughtful" classroom culture
  • "discovering yourself as learner" and “celebrating the individual” is truly nurtured
  • students are teachers and teachers are students 


To create the unit I focused on these 5 categories:

  • Discovering yourself as a learner
  • Our CAMPING community
  • Perspective
  • Thinking Routines/Strategies (an introduction)
  • Reflection
My main sources of instructional inspiration & thought provoking strategies come from:


(We are very fortunate at our school to have a strong connection with Project Zero. I am thankful the learning opportunities as a result of this partnership.)


& of course from wonderful teachers I meet on my educational journey.

I still consider myself an Apprentice on this journey. As such, I am always on the lookout for effective thinking strategies.

What are your thoughts? Would love to hear them.







No comments:

Post a Comment